The Phoenix roundtable newsletter is a monthly newsletter that contains information about upcoming district and council events and activities and becomes available the first Thursday of the month. The electronic newsletter is sent on a weekly basis and is in addition to the roundtable newsletter.
Phoenix District Calendar for June 2018 to July 2019
Roundtable Newsletter Sign up for our newsletter
Phoenix District Roundtable
November 1, 2018 | 7:00 pm
Roundtable is a district monthly meeting typically held the first Thursday of the month at Klein LDS Center (16535 Kleinwood Dr, Spring, 77379) at 7:00 pm to help unit leaders plan and carry out their own program. Roundtable is a form of supplemental training for volunteers. The objective of Roundtable is to give leaders program ideas, information on upcoming events and trainings, and an opportunity to share experiences and enjoy fun and fellowship with other Scouting leaders. As a result of the Roundtable experience, unit leaders will be inspired, motivated, informed, and able to provide a stronger program for their Scouts. Follow our Facebook page.
Cuboree / Rocket Day
October 27, 2018 | 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Cuboree is an action-packed day for newly registered Cub Scouts in kindergarten through fifth grade. Cub Scouts will enjoy a day of fun games, prizes, crafts, treats, shooting archery and more.
Boys and girls who join Cub Scouts this year will receive a rocket that they can design, build, and launch at cuboree. Youth in kindergarten through fifth grade who are interested in joining Scouting may also attend. We will help you find a pack near you and get signed up for Scouting. New Scouts can attend any Rocket Launch Day event in the council that fits their schedule. Returning Scouts can bring a rocket to launch. The event is being held at Strack Intermediate School (18027-S Kuykendahl Road, Klein, TX 77379).
Learn More and Register
- Option 1: Cuboree and Rocket Launch. The cost is $11.50 per Scout and $5 per sibling. Siblings under age 3 are free. Patches are guaranteed for the first 150 Scouts registered. The late fee begins October 27, 2018, and is $14.50.
- Option 2: Rocket Launch. Scouts who only want to shoot their rocket and not participate in the Cuboree activities can sign up to attend the rocket launch. There is no charge to shoot your rocket. The launch will be held from 11:00 am - 3:00 pm.
December 7-9, 2018
Webelos Woods is a campout designed to introduce 4th and 5th grade Webelos to the many outdoor adventures of Boy Scouting. This awesome weekend event includes patrol-method camping and Scout activities. Webelos will have an opportunity to:
- Work with Boy Scout troops in a number of skills, activities, and games.
- Experience a Boy Scout campfire program and Scout’s Own Service (non-denominational)
- Have fun and get a taste of Boy Scout camping.
On Saturday morning, Webelos patrols compete in Webelos skills (first aid, fire building, camping skills, games, knots) and during the afternoon local Boy Scout troops teach basic Boy Scout skills. The patrols are judged on patrol flag and yell, resources, leadership, teamwork, skill demonstration and Scout spirit. The evening will finish off with an entertaining campfire program. After the campfire troops, crews and ships will host a cracker barrel where Webelos and their parent/guardian can tour their campsites and ask questions. The event is being held at Spring Creek Park (15012 Brown Road, Tomball, TX 77375). Pre-registered Webelos Scouts will receive an event patch and water bottle; registration includes activities supplies. Late registration is $21.50 and begins 12/5/18; patches and water bottles are not guaranteed. Onsite registration is $26.50. Registration is typically completed by the den or unit leader.
Learn More and Register
Training is an important part of learning to become an effective leader. Trained leaders impact the quality of programs, leader tenure, youth tenure, and a whole lot more. A trained leader is better prepared to make the Scouting program all it can be! Every Scout deserves a trained leader. See the council training schedule for a list of additional trainings offered around the council. For more information about training, contact Tamela De Maranville.
Every year, all units (packs, troops, crews, ships) are required to renew their affiliation with Scouting. The BSA issues charters to community organizations to enable them to use the Scouting program under their own leadership as a service to their children, youth, and families. Re-chartering is the process of renewing the charter agreement between the BSA and the organization, and renewing the registration of youth and adult members.
Rechartering on time is critical. It is required for Journey to Excellence. It is required for units to continue registration without interruption. It is required to ensure Scouts are registered, critical for receiving rank advancement and other awards, and for insurance coverage.
The Internet Recharter (IR) site will officially open up on November 1, 2018, but there's a lot units can be working on right now to make the recharter process go smooth.
1. Send a representative from the unit to one of the district recharter training sessions:
- October 4, 2018 at Klein LDS Center (16535 Kleinwood Dr, Spring, 77379) at 7:00 pm (during roundtable)
- October 11, 2018 at St. Dunstan's Episcopal Church (14301 Stuebner Airline Rd, Houston, TX 77069) at 6:30 pm
- November 1, 2018 at Klein LDS Center (16535 Kleinwood Dr, Spring, 77379) at 7:00 pm (during roundtable)
2. Prepare unit's roster:
- Process new Scout and leader applications
- Update unit Roster
- Check adult Youth Protection Training (all adult leaders must have taken the new YPT online since February 1, 2018)
- Check top leader training (Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Crew Advisor must all be fully trained to recharter)
- Sign up for district newsletter
- Review council resources
- Contact your unit commissioner, assistant district commissioner, or district commissioner for assistance
4. Please provide the unit representative's contact information to the Phoenix District Commissioner Kevin Renfro as soon as possible.
Rechater Summary Handout Unit Contact Information Sheet